Radio VII, side A, track 5: “Harlem Shuffle” by The Rolling Stones

Oh, The Rolling Stones, I had absolutely no frame of reference for this song, other than that it was a song and it was coming from the radio.  I didn’t know what Harlem was, I certainly didn’t know what the Harlem Shuffle was, and so I couldn’t picture at all what you were singing about.  What I did know was that it sounded kinda ominous.  It sounded slinky and probably what adults thought of as sexy, the kind of thing that my friends who had cable or access to certain magazines would tell me about.  I really liked the chorus, the whole “Yeah, yeah, yeah, do the Harlem Shuffle” thing, but even when you were singing that you sounded kinda mad and intimidating.  I had a feeling that if I went to a place where people were doing the Harlem Shuffle, I’d be way out of my league.

“Harlem Shuffle”

Wooo!

You move it to the left
Yeah, and you go for yourself
You move it to the right
Yeah, if it takes all night

Now take it kinda slow
With a whole lotta soul
Don’t move it too fast
Just make it last

You scratch just like a monkey
Yeah, you do, real cool
You slide it to the limbo
Yeah, how low can you go?

Now come on, baby (oh, come on baby)
Don’t fall down on me now
Just move it right here
Do the Harlem shuffle
Yeah, yeah, yeah, do the Harlem shuffle
Yeah, yeah, yeah, do the Harlem shuffle

Waah!
Aaaaah!

Hitch, hitch-hike baby, across the floor (woo!)
Woah, woah, woah
I can’t stand it no more

Now come on, baby (oh, come on baby now)
Now get into your slide
Just ride ride ride
Little pony, ride

Yeah, yeah, yeah, do the Harlem shuffle
Yeah, yeah, yeah, do the Harlem shuffle
(Do the monkey shine!)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, shake a tail feather, baby
(Shake shake, shake shake)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, shake a tail feather, baby
Woo!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, do the Harlem shuffle

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

9 thoughts on “Radio VII, side A, track 5: “Harlem Shuffle” by The Rolling Stones

1. mskatykins says:

I like the RS version of it, the guitar riffs are cool. It does have a really ominous sound to it and is very different from the original. The original track by Bob and Earle… wow. I remember the first time I heard it and, in my ignorance, was preparing to ‘Jump Around’ to a little House of Pain.

Btw, don’t think I’ve mentioned it before, but think your avatar is really cool. I take it it’s one of your own creations? 🙂

• Starstorm says:

I had no idea that this was a remake, plus bonus points for the “Jump Around” origin! Thanks!

And yes, my avatar is one of my comic book characters, who happens to be named Starstorm 🙂

• mskatykins says:

Cool, always good to hear new things. 🙂 What did you think of that version? It’s pretty different…

I like your character a lot, very cool. 🙂

• Starstorm says:

I thought it was great, but I think I prefer the Stones version just because I’m so familiar with it. It’s always a strange paradox when you hear the “new” version that’s actually the original.

And thanks on the Starstorm love, we’ll be seeing a lot more of him in the pages of Kwiddex Protocol over at my Repercussion Comics site (shameless plug). Incidentally, I know you’re kind of finding your groove yet with Spineless Wonders, but if you decide to keep going with it, I’d love to include it with the other comics we’re working on OR even work with you on a comic book story of some kind 🙂

• mskatykins says:

Wow, I just found this comment and I’m ever so pleased I did – wow. 🙂 I have had loads more ideas for Spineless Wonders today (no, no I wasn’t jotting down ideas at work today, I really wasn’t… 😉 ). I’m really flattered by your encouragement and your suggestion of working together, I think that would be fantastic! *scurries off to practise drawing…*

• mskatykins says:

PS – You weren’t being sarcastic were you…?

2. […] PLUS there were a ton of other songs that I’d forgotten were highlighted in that song, like “Harlem Shuffle” and “Sussudio” and “Nasty” and “What You […]

I totally have an opinion on this!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s